Japanese style Curry (Kare)
Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Dairy-free | No added fat
Makes 4 portions
Why it’s delicious
My fondness for Japanese cuisine knows no bounds. Even the melting pot that is Japanese Curry AKA Kare or Karei is a fabulous flavour explosion that is sweet and savoury all at the same time.
With this recipe I have made it a healthy version of the original using lean chicken mince and spices to replace any need for added fats or oils. The sauce is made delicious thanks to some of my roasted tomato sauce and a grated green apple to balance out the flavours.
Helpful hints and tips
I used fresh turmeric in my curry by finely grating some fresh turmeric root. You can find fresh turmeric in the vegetable section of your supermarket, usually near the garlic and ginger or in the veggie shop or Asian supermarket.
I like to serve this curry with a poached egg for lunch, or for dinner, cauliflower rice or lightly blanched green vegetables.
Before you start, you’ll need to prepare my Kombu Water. Kombu water is my healthy broth alternative and one of my favourite foundation recipes. If you need the recipe, you can find it here.
To ensure my recipe stays free from sugar and gluten, I also use my Roasted Tomato Sauce. You will need to prepare this sauce before continuing. My sauce is extremely versatile, and I use it in so many other delicious recipes. I always keep a jar of it in my fridge for impromptu curries, sauces and zucchini noodle pasta dishes. You can find the recipe here.
Japanese curry spice blend
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 6 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
Japanese style Curry (Kare)
- 1 tbsp low sodium tamari
- 2 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 5 tbsp Japanese curry spice blend (ingredients above)
- 1 tsp freshly grated turmeric or turmeric powder
- 400 g (14 oz) chicken or turkey mince
- 150 g (5.2 oz) Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 1 medium green apple, grated
- 1 tbsp fibre syrup, optional
- 600 ml (20 fl oz) Kombu Water
- Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Make the spice blend by stirring all the spices together and storing in an airtight container until required. This blend will last up to 3 months if stored correctly.
- Heat a large wok on medium to high heat with the tamari, ginger and garlic. Add the spice blend, and turmeric and stir fry for a minute. Add the chicken or turkey mince and continue to stir fry for 5 minutes ensuring the mince is broken up and well cooked.
- Add the tomato sauce, grated apple and fibre syrup if using and stir fry for a further minute. Add the kombu water, bring the curry to the boil and then reduce it to a simmer. Simmer the curry for 20 minutes or until the curry sauce thickens and the flavour develops nicely.
- Taste the curry to make sure it's well balanced, adding salt and pepper to taste.