Roasted Tomato SauceGluten-free | Sugar-free | Dairy-free | No added fats or oils | Vegan
Makes: 1 large jar or 500-600 grams (1.1-1.3 lbs) of sauce
Cuisine: Bridget's Healthy Kitchen
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour & 50 minutes
Keeps: 1 week stored in the fridge
I have been making a version of this sauce for years but have re-engineered it, so it's healthy! This new healthy version is now my go-to tomato sauce. I use it on spaghetti bolognese, meatballs, eggplant parmigiana, and as a base for various curries.
My roasted tomato sauce is the perfect alternative to store-bought pasta sauce and bottled tomato sauce (ketchup). I always have a jar of this in the fridge or freezer.
This recipe has no added salt, sugar, fat, gluten or dairy. It's also full of beautiful spices and flavours.
Hints, Tips & Tricks
Roasting tomatoes in the oven helps to sweeten and flavour them n a wonderfully satisfying way, making this sauce an absolute hero.
- 1 kg (2.1 lbs) medium-sized ripe tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 150 ml (5 oz) water
- Preheat the oven to 200C (390F)
- Fill a small roasting tray with a piece of baking paper and lay the cut tomatoes into the roasting tray, cut side facing up.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes with cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt, black pepper and thyme leaves. Place the tray in the oven and cook for 40-50 minutes or until really well roasted.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, ginger, apple cider vinegar, and water to a pot, bring to a simmer, and allow the mixture to simmer for 60 minutes.
- Using a stick blender or food processor, blend the sauce till it's smooth. Taste for flavour, adding more salt and pepper if required.
- Allow to cool and then store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 1 week.