Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Dairy-free | Oil-free | Air Fryer recipeServes: 1
Kids will love these, and you'll love feeding these to them thanks to the healthy ingredients and cooking method - no deep fryer required!
Hints, Tips & Tricks
This recipe requires an air fryer. However, you can also make the fingers in the oven, though the results will not be as crisp.
These fingers are freezer friendly. Pop the raw fish fingers in the freezer for up to 3 months and cook them from frozen in the air fryer for 20 minutes.
This recipe calls for inulin powder, a soluble fibre derived from plant-based sources. It is prebiotic, making it a fantastic ingredient for our gut health, and it's also a healthy alternative to sugar. You can read more information about inulin powder --> here. Or, if you're wondering where to purchase some, we sell 100% Chicory Inulin Powder for home delivery*! Find out more --> here.
I also use psyllium husk as a binding agent to ensure the ingredients hold together nicely. As psyllium husk is a soluble fibre and prebiotic, it also helps add more fibre to our diets. The recommended daily fibre intake is between 25 grams to 30 grams, and just one tablespoon of psyllium husk contains around 5 grams of fibre.
- 150 g (5.2 oz) firm white fish fillets like ling, monkfish, cod, barramundi or snapper
- 1 tsp ground wakame
- 1 tbsp almond meal or another nut or seed flour of your choice
- 1 tbsp linseed or flax meal flour
- 1 tbsp psyllium husks
- 1 tbsp pure as Pure as Inulin Powder
- Himalayan salt and pepper
- 1 egg white, or 60 ml (2 oz) cold water
- 1 lemon wedge
- If using your oven for cooking your fish fingers, preheat to 180C (350F) and lay a piece of non-stick baking paper on a small roasting tray.
- Slice your fish into finger-like pieces and season with a sprinkle of ground wakame.
- Make the crumb mixture by stirring the almond meal, linseed, psyllium and inulin and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the egg white (or cold water) into a bowl and lightly whisk with a fork. Place the crumb mixture into another bowl.
- If using an air fryer, preheat to 180C (350F)
- Run the fish fingers through the egg white and then crumb with the mixture by gently patting the crumb onto the fish.
- Place the fingers in the air fryer basket and cook for 7-8 minutes. If cooking in the oven, place the fingers on the roasting tray and cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Flip the fingers over halfway through the cooking process.
- Serve the fingers with the lemon wedge and roasted vegetables.