Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Dairy-free | Vegan
If you're wondering whether this is a healthy version of Nutella, you're right! This delicious spread is free of gluten, sugar, grain, dairy, egg and vegetable oil.
My healthy choc hazelnut spread is perfect on toast, tossed through cake batter or added to hot coconut or almond milk for a delicious chocolatey drink, making it incredibly versatile.
This recipe, plus over 60 other gluten, sugar-free, and dairy-optional recipes, are included in my eBook Healthy Treats Volume 2.
Hints, Tips & Tricks
This recipe also calls for inulin powder, a soluble fibre derived from plant-based sources. It is prebiotic, making it a fantastic ingredient for our gut health, and it's also a healthy alternative to sugar. You can read more information about inulin powder --> here. Or, if you're wondering where to purchase some, we sell 100% Chicory Inulin Powder for home delivery*! Find out more --> here.
It's essential to use good quality chocolate free from sugar and dairy for this recipe.
- 240 g (8.4 oz) peeled hazelnuts
- Mineral salt
- 100 g (3.5 oz) Pure as Inulin Powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 80 g (2.7 oz) dark sugar-free, dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 180C (350 F), place the hazelnuts on a roasting tray in a single layer, and sprinkle with a bit of salt.
- If the hazelnuts are raw, roast them for 13-16 minutes or until just golden. If your hazelnuts are already roasted, allow them to heat in the oven for 8 minutes, this will help blend the nuts.
- Place all the nuts into a blender whilst they are still warm and blend on high speed until they turn into nut butter. This will take between 4-10 minutes, depending on the speed and power of your blender. The mixture is ready for the next ingredients when it starts to resemble peanut butter in texture.
- Add the inulin powder and vanilla and blend to combine.
- Place the chocolate chips into a glass or metal bowl and place the bowl over a small pot of simmering water, ensuring the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Allow the chocolate to melt, occasionally stirring with a spatula until the chocolate is liquid.
- Add the warm melted chocolate to the hazelnuts and blend to combine. Spoon the mixture into a very clean jar and seal tightly with a lid. Store in the pantry at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.