Cauliflower Rice 4 Ways
Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Dairy-free | No added fats or oils | Vegan
Makes enough for 2- 3 serves
Why it’s delicious
I’m always looking for new ways to do old things that excite the palate whilst remaining healthy and easy to make. Such is the case with cauliflower rice 4 ways, where we take the basic principles of making cauliflower into rice and I give you 4 fabulous alternatives to plain cauliflower.
Helpful hints and tips
You will need a food processor for this recipe.
Instead of using cauliflower, you could make Broccoli Rice 4 Ways by simply swapping the cauliflower in the recipe below for raw broccoli.
To ensure my recipe stays free from sugar and gluten, I use my Roasted Tomato Sauce. You will need to prepare this sauce before continuing. My sauce is extremely versatile, and I use it in so many other delicious recipes. I always keep a jar of it in my fridge for impromptu curries, sauces and zucchini noodle pasta dishes. You can find the recipe here.
For the base cauliflower rice
- 400 g (14 oz) raw cauliflower florets
- Salt flakes
Variation 1 Curry cauliflower rice
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Variation 2 Coconut cauliflower rice
- 2 tbsp coconut threads
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
Variation 3 Tomato cauliflower rice
- 2 tbsp Bridget's Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 1 small firm tomato, diced small
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Variation 4 Herbed Cauliflower rice
- 2 tbsp fresh basil or chives, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Cut cauliflower florets into small pieces and add them to a food processor. Depending on the size of your food processor, you may have to work in batches as you don’t want to overcrowd the bowl. Blend the cauliflower for 20-30 seconds or until it resembles rice.
- At this stage you can store your cauliflower rice in the fridge for up to 3 days or you can freeze it in Ziplock bags in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Decide upon your chosen variation (as above in the ingredients list) and add additional ingredients to the cauliflower and stir them through. Please note, if you are making the herbed cauliflower rice, cook the cauliflower as below and add the herbs when the cauliflower is cooked.
Microwave To cook your cauliflower rice, you can microwave on high along with a sprinkling of salt and your chosen additions, covered in cling film for 3 minutes. Stir well once the 3 minutes is up.
Roast in the oven Preheat the oven at 200C (390F) and lay a piece of baking paper onto an oven tray. Mix your chosen additions through the cauliflower along with a sprinkling of salt and lay the cauliflower out in a thin layer. Roast for 10-12 minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking time.