Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Dairy-free | No added fat | Air fryer recipe
Makes: enough for 2 serves
Chicken nuggets have been around since the 50s and are a favourite among kids and adults alike. Classic nuggets are usually breaded or battered and then deep-fried, which packs on a lot of saturated fat, unnecessary calories and other unwanted nasties. And don't get me started on the 'meat' they use in the fast-food varieties.
If you're searching for a different type of chicken nugget that's delicious but healthy, look no further because this is the recipe you need!
In this recipe, I have coated chicken breast in my fabulous cauliflower crust and made my own delicious chicken nuggets which are naturally gluten, sugar and dairy-free with no added fats or oils. You can also use my cauliflower crust to coat fish or prawns.
Hints, Tips & Tricks
I used an air fryer for this recipe. You can also make the nuggets in the oven, but they won't turn out as crisp and golden.
For the oven method:
heat your oven to 200C and cook your nuggets for 15 minutes on a baking tray covered with baking paper.
I use psyllium husk as a binding agent to ensure the ingredients hold together nicely. As psyllium husk is a soluble fibre and prebiotic, it also helps add more fibre to our diets. The recommended daily fibre intake is between 25 grams to 30 grams , and just one tablespoon of psyllium husk contains around 5 grams of fibre.
- 100 g (3.5 oz) raw cauliflower
- 30 g (1 oz) desiccated coconut, optional
- 1 tbsp psyllium husks
- Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200 g raw chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks and soaked in water to cover
- 2 lemon wedges to serve
- 4 tbsp of my Roasted Tomato Sauce to serve, optional
- Place the cauliflower into a food processor or blender and blitz for a couple of seconds or until it resembles the texture of rice.
- If using the coconut, mix it through the cauliflower rice along with the psyllium husks and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the chicken has been soaking for a couple of minutes, drain the water, and taking a piece of chicken at a time, press into the crumb mixture.
- Preheat your air fryer to 200C (390F) or if you are using your oven, see the method as detailed in the hints and tips section above.
- Place the chicken nuggets into your air fryer basket and cook for 6-8 minutes or until they are golden and the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve the nuggets alongside your favourite vegetables or with lemon wedges and a side of my wonderful roasted tomato sauce.