Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Dairy-free
Why it’s delicious
I had no idea how amazing this recipe would turn out after considering its potential as an interesting way to cook an omelette. It turned out 100 times better than anticipated and is so worth the little extra effort involved in creating it.
This recipe calls for inulin powder, a soluble fibre derived from plant-based sources. It is a prebiotic, making it a fantastic ingredient for gut health and a healthy alternative to sugar. I use Pure as Inulin Powder, a 100% natural plant-based prebiotic chicory inulin powder to support a healthy digestive system. It also tastes like candy floss! Please check out our online store here to place an order. You can also read more about inulin powder --> here.
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2 tsp Pure as Inulin Powder
- Himalayan or mineral salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 tsp coconut or avocado oil
- 1 tbsp fresh herb leaves like mint, chervil, chives, coriander or basil
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast, optional
- Separate the whites from the yolks and whisk the egg whites until they are frothy. Add the inulin powder and continue to whisk until the whites form stiff peaks.
- Heat a small frying pan on medium heat and brush it with a little coconut or avocado oil.
- Whisk the yolks briefly with a little salt and pepper and fold them gently but evenly through the whites with a rubber spatula, being careful not to knock the air out of the whites by being too heavy-handed.
- Spoon the mixture into the warm pan and fashion gently into an omelette shape with the spatula. Place a lid on the pan and cook for 1 ½ to 2 minutes.
- Using the spatula, carefully fold half the omelette over to create a half circle. Place the lid back onto the pan and cook for a further 1- 2 minutes. The omelette is done when the egg is just cooked through, so it is solid but still has a wobble.
- Take the omelette from the pan and place on the plate you intend to serve it on. Sprinkle the top of the omelette with herbs and nutritional yeast, season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.