Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Dairy-free | Vegan friendly
Makes: 200 grams (7 oz) of chocolate mix or 15-20 portions
This comforting cup of Champurrado - Mexican-style Hot Chocolate - is well flavoured and balanced plus incredibly good for you. Full of healthy polyphenols that help protect the gut and encourage the growth of beneficial gut bacteria, this is a beautiful chocolate mix for kids and big kids alike.
Hints, Tips & Tricks
I use my Zero as Sugar Pure Erythritol to help maintain a sweet taste without adding refined sugar. You’ll find this ingredient in many reduced-calorie and sugar-free foods and drinks. If you want to purchase my Zero as Sugar Pure Erythritol, which’s 100% natural, has zero calories, and registers zero on the glycemic index, you can find out more here.
Make sure to use good quality, sugar-free dark chocolate. Real dark chocolate is made from cocoa powder and cocoa butter (the fatty portion of the cacao bean), making it naturally dairy-free. Some brands add dairy to their dark chocolates, so be sure to read the ingredients list if you decide to buy some. Alternatively, you can use my Sugar-free Vegan Dark Chocolate.
In the video below, I show you how to make this delicious cup and another Mexican treat, Horchata.
- 100 g (3.5 oz) dark sugar-free, dairy-free chocolate chips, placed in the freezer for 20 minutes to harden
- 50 g (1.7 oz) raw cacao powder
- 100 g (3.5 oz) Zero as Sugar Pure Erythritol
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- ¼ tsp mineral salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- ½ to 1 tsp chilli powder, optional for grown-ups
- 2-3 tbsp non-dairy milk like coconut or almond per serve
- Blend the frozen chocolate and the remaining chocolate mix ingredients until they are combined and blended into a fine powder.
- Store in an airtight jar for up to 1 month.
- To make your hot chocolate, stir 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons of chocolate mix into 220 ml (7.5 FL oz) boiling water in a jug and add 2-3 tablespoons of non-dairy milk.
- Using a stick blender, small electric whisk or milk frothy, froth the hot chocolate for 30-60 seconds or until very light and bubbly.
- Pour into a mug and serve.