Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Keto friendly
Makes 4 small toasties
Why it’s delicious
I don’t even think I need to answer this question, because we all know what makes toasted cheese/ toasties or grilled cheese sandwiches so coveted and swoon worthy. I was challenged by a friend to create a healthy toasted cheese, how could I turn down such a delicious challenge?
Helpful hints and tips
I use my The World's Healthiest and Tastiest Bread recipe as the base to my grilled cheese sandwiches, and you can request your copy of the recipe by clicking here. My bread recipe makes 2 small loaves, and you will need 1 small loaf for this recipe.
Choose the best quality cheese that your budget allows. I’ve given you 3 cheeses that are healthier than most, but feel free to swap out the cheeses to suit you.
This recipe is great for anyone following an 80/20 lifestyle, anyone following a keto based diet and if you are in maintenance and have allowed healthy fats like good quality cheese and butter back into your diet.
I use my Delish Pickled Onions in this recipe, and the recipe for them can be found HERE.
- 1 small loaf of The World's Healthiest and Tastiest Bread
- 2 tbsp grated mozzarella
- 2 tbsp grated cheddar
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
- 2 tbsp my Delish Pickled Onions
- Natural salt flakes
- 30 g (1 oz) butter, melted
- Heat a heavy bottomed fry pan or skillet on medium heat. I used my cast iron frying pan which helped to get a golden caramelisation on my toasted cheese sandwich.
- Carefully slice the loaf of bread into 4 even portions and cut each portion in half through the middle.
- Lay the bread slices onto a clean bunch, crust facing up to you and distribute the grated cheese between 4 bottom slices. Add the pickled onions to each of the cheese topped slices and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Top the cheese onion with a slice of bread, with the cut side now facing you. Butter the outsides of your toasted cheese sandwiches and push any stray cheese that may be on the bench into the outside of your sandwich so as not to waste any cheese and to help get a wonderful colour and taste on the outside of your bread.
- Lay 2 sandwiches into the frying pan and squish down with a metal spatula. Grill the sandwiches for 3-4 minutes on either side but keep an eye on them as you want the cheese to melt slowly but not to burn.
- Repeat until all the sandwiches are well grilled. Serve immediately, piping hot so the cheese is wonderfully melty!
We’re so happy to hear you like it!! Thank you so much for sharing :)
The link to the “The World’s Healthiest and Tastiest Bread” takes you to the Bridget’s Healthy Kitchen Facebook page. The recipe is in the description of the image – simply click “see more”. I hope this helps :)
My dream came true, cheese on toast, yes!
The worlds healthiest bread is amazing, together with aged cheddar, I was in heaven!
The rest is in the freezer in slices ready for when I allow myself a treat again. It’s great knowing I can🦋
I can not down load the bread recipe
I look forward to this one