Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Dairy-free | Grain-free
Makes: 7-8 small waffles
Course: Dessert | Breakfast | Treat
Prep time: 5 - 10 minutes
Cook time: 2 - 3 minutes
What's more perfect during the silly season than some Christmas inspired Gingerbread Waffles?
They're packed full of aromatic spices and are perfect for breakfast, brunch or even a late after dinner snack. The best bit? They're entirely free from gluten, sugar, dairy and grain.
Whether making them for Christmas or serving them up on the weekend, you will love the simplicity and flavours that this recipe delivers.
Hints, Tips & Tricks
If you don't have a waffle iron, you can cook the mixture in a frying pan like pikelets or small pancakes.
I use my Sweet As Fibre Syrup as a refined sugar substitute in this recipe due to its natural sweetness. My fibre syrup is a low-calorie prebiotic fibre made from 100% pure chicory. Feel free to use your own fibre syrup, but read the labels. Many companies lace their syrups with malt extract and stevia to make them sweeter. If your fibre syrup isn't golden, it probably isn't 100% pure. Click here if you would like to purchase my Sweet As Fibre Syrup.
As this recipe is gluten-free, I have used xanthan gum to provide elasticity and fluffiness that the gluten would otherwise provide.
This recipe also calls for inulin powder, a soluble fibre derived from plant-based sources. It is prebiotic, making it a fantastic ingredient for our gut health, and it's also a healthy alternative to sugar. You can read more information about inulin powder --> here. Or, if you're wondering where to purchase some, we sell 100% Chicory Inulin Powder for home delivery*! Find out more --> here.
- 2 heaped tbsp coconut yoghurt
- 3 eggs + 1 egg white
- 70 g (2.4 oz) almond flour or meal
- 20 g (0.7 oz) coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 2 ½ tbsp Pure as Inulin Powder + extra for dusting
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp coconut oil, for brushing the waffle iron
- 100 g (3.5 oz) coconut yoghurt, unsweetened to serve
- 300 g (10.5 oz) cooked berries or cherries or diced fresh fruit of your choosing, to serve
- 60 ml (2 oz) Sweet as Fibre Syrup
- Heat your waffle iron at medium temperature.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of coconut yoghurt with the whole eggs + egg white, almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, 2 ½ tbsp inulin powder, ginger powder and mixed spice. Stir the mixture well to combine thoroughly.
- Very lightly brush the waffle iron with coconut oil and add 2 tablespoons of the waffle batter to the centre of the iron and flatten slightly with the back of the spoon.
- Cook the waffle for 2-3 minutes. The waffle should be golden brown when ready. Remove the waffle from the iron and continue to cook the waffles until all the batter is gone.
- Serve your waffles with the fruit of your choosing, coconut yoghurt, fibre syrup and an extra dusting of inulin powder.