Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Dairy-Free | Air fryer recipeMakes: 4-5 rolls
Cuisine: Bridget’s Healthy Kitchen
Course: Side dish
Thanks to an array of wonderful ingredients, these rolls are easy to make, take only minutes to bake in the air fry, and are incredibly good for us.
So, what are psyllium husks? Well, it’s a plant-based fibre, and fibre is great for keeping us regular. Psyllium is also prebiotic, so it helps to encourage good bacteria growth in the gut. It can bulk out when liquid is added, which will help keep you feeling fuller longer.
If you suffer from irregular bowel movements, psyllium husks are your best friend! You can add it to soups and stews to thicken them, and like in this bread recipe, it helps the dough stick together without gluten. Awesome right?
You can purchase husks from your health food store, online by googling psyllium husks or in some health food aisles in good supermarkets.
Hints, Tips & Tricks
Please note; that you will need an air fryer for this recipe.
I use ground wakame in this recipe, and you can purchase it at your local Asian grocery store. For more information on wakame, check out this video.
Follow along with me as I make these delicious rolls in the video below:
- 100 g (3.5 oz) almond flour or ground almonds (almond meal)
- 35 g (1.2 oz) psyllium husks
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 15 g (0.5 oz) chia seeds
- 10 g (0.3 oz) linseeds (flax seeds)
- 1 tsp ground wakame
- Pinch Himalayan salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 tbsp boiling water
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the dry ingredients of almond flour, psyllium husks, baking powder, chia seeds, linseeds, ground wakame and salt.
- Whisk together the whole egg, egg whites, apple cider vinegar, and avocado oil in a jug.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and then pour over the boiling water. This step is vital to activate the psyllium husks and make them thick and gelatinous. Stir the mixture well. The dough should be pliable enough to roll into 4-5 balls. If the dough is too wet to roll, sprinkle over more psyllium husks until the dough is workable to roll.
- Preheat your air fryer to 160C (320F) for 2 minutes and place the rolls into the basket, leaving space between each ball to rise a little. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until the roll sounds hollow when tapped on its base.
- Serve HOT for best results, or cool the rolls on a wire rack. These rolls keep well in the fridge for 2-3 days and benefit significantly by heating them in the microwave or air fryer for 30 seconds before eating.
Thank you so much :)
All the best,
Love your videos.