Soft Shell Tacos
Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Dairy-free | No added fats + oils
Makes 8-10 small Tacos
Why it’s delicious
When I dream the perfect dream, tacos are often involved. There is something seemingly magical about stuffing delicious morsels of food in a soft wrap before unceremoniously sinking your teeth down into it. The ability to get an explosion of flavour in every mouthfeel is a wondrous event made even better knowing that we are eating 100% healthy.
Helpful hints and tips
Let your imagination run wild when it comes to the filling for your soft shell tacos. The choice is yours. In this recipe I used my Sticky Tofu but you can use cooked shredded or Pulled Chicken, Sticky Beef, prawns, salmon or white fish.
This recipe is a great one to serve for families and get-togethers. Make the tacos and place them into a pile and serve with a selection of fillings and let everyone choose their own.
For the soft shell tacos
- 500 g (1.1 lb) raw cauliflower florets
- 1-2 eggs
- Himalayan salt and pepper
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp coriander powder
For the filling - all ingredients are optional, mix and match to suit you
- ½ portion of Sticky Tofu or 200 g (7 oz) shredded cooked chicken, Pulled Chicken, Sticky Beef, cooked salmon or white fish, pulled pork
- 200 g (7 oz) cabbage, very thinly shredded
- 2 medium firm tomatoes, diced into small cubes
- 2 small cucumbers, diced into small cubes
- 1 small avocado, diced into small cubes
- 1 small red onion, diced very fine
- Small handful of my sugar-free Pickled Cucumbers
- A few rounds of Pickled Onions
- 4 tbsp coconut yoghurt, thinned down with a little water
- A few leaves of fresh mint and coriander
- To make the tacos, process the cauliflower until it resembles rice and then cook it in the microwave on high for 4 ½ minutes. Stir it with a fork to allow the steam to escape and then let the cauliflower cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Place the cauliflower into the middle of a clean tea towel and bring the edge of the tea towel together and twist the tea towel to extract as much of the liquid from the cauliflower as you can. Give it a really good squeeze and get the cauli as dry as possible.
- Place the squeezed cauliflower into a bowl and add 1 egg and season with salt and pepper and stir through the paprika and coriander powder. The mixture should be damp but not soaking. If it appears a little dry, whisk another egg in a small bowl and add the egg a teaspoon at a time until the mixture is just damp.
- Preheat your oven to 200C(390F) and lay a sheet of non-stick baking paper on a flat tray. Place 2 tbsp of caul mix on to the paper and using the back of a spoon create an even circle with the mixture to create a small 15 cm (6 inch) taco. Take your time with this step, you can even trace a circle on the baking paper to get consistently round wraps. You should get at least 8 tacos from your mixture.
- Place the tray into the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Carefully peel the wraps from the paper and flip them over, baking for a further 5 minutes on the other side. Cool the cooked wraps for 10 minutes before rolling or storing. They can be stored, covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- When you are ready to eat, fill your tacos with your selected ingredients, finishing them off with some of the yoghurt and a good grinding of black pepper and a sprinkle of salt.