Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Dairy-free | No added fats or oils
This dish is a direct result of my love for Hawaii's famous North Shore shrimp trucks. I have had an affection for Hawaiian-style garlic shrimp/prawns for many years, so I decided to recreate this phenomenal dish with a healthy kick!
I made it my mission to produce a tasty shrimp dish reminiscent of the original without all the grease and carbs.
Hints, Tips & Tricks
Buy raw prawn/shrimp tails instead of pre-cooked. Prawns are very simple, quick to cook and taste much better than the pre-cooked variety.
I served my prawns with a salad made with my pickled ginger. However, feel free to serve the prawns with cauliflower rice, steamed broccoli, blanched asparagus or any vegetable you choose.
This recipe requires Bridget's Sticky Sauce, a healthy cooking sauce I use in many of my recipes. It's simple, healthy and packs a lot of flavour without adding unnecessary calories. If you need the recipe, you can get it here.
I also use wakame, which is a species of edible seaweed. It has a subtly sweet but distinctive flavour, and you can purchase some at your local Asian grocer.
You can find this recipe and many other healthy ones in my cookbook, More from Bridget's Healthy Kitchen.
- ½ tbsp Bridget's Sticky Sauce
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh garlic
- 150 g (5.2 oz) raw prawn/shrimp tails
- 1 lemon, juiced + 1 lemon wedge serve
- 1 tbsp small wakame pieces
- 1 large handful of fresh mixed lettuce leaves or vegetables of your choice
- 1 tbsp pickled ginger + 1 tbsp pickled ginger juice
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat and add the sticky sauce and garlic. Stir fry for a minute, stirring continuously to prevent the garlic from burning and then add the prawns.
- Continue to stir fry for a minute, and then add the lemon juice, continuing to stir to ensure the prawns are well mixed with the liquid. Season with salt and pepper, and add the wakame.
- As soon as the prawns turn from translucent to pinky-orange, remove the prawns from the pan. Serve alongside a salad with my pickled ginger and a drizzle of the pickling liquid as a dressing. Add the lemon wedge and eat!
Awesome stuff! We’re happy you enjoyed the Fish & Chips!
This sounds delicious, I have just made your sticky sauce, so will give it a go. Today we had your fish and chips which was also delicious 😋