Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Dairy-free
Makes 12 cookies
Why it’s delicious
My sister Louise was the baker in our house, and one of her specialties was peanut brownies. With such fond memories of these cookies, I had to come up with a healthier version that still has all the joy of the original with these cookies coming pretty close to awesome!
Helpful hints and tips
Choose a natural all peanut or almond butter without any sugar or additives. You can now find natural nut butters in most supermarkets, just remember to read the label to make sure you are getting a jar of just nuts made into butter.
This recipe calls for inulin powder, a soluble fibre derived from plant-based sources. It is a prebiotic, making it a fantastic ingredient for gut health and a healthy alternative to sugar. I use Pure as Inulin by Bridget's Healthy Kitchen, a 100% natural plant-based prebiotic chicory inulin powder to support a healthy digestive system. It also tastes like candy floss! Please check out our online store here to place an order. You can also read more about inulin powder --> here.
- 220 g (7.7 oz) all natural peanut or almond butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 tbsp Pure as Inulin Powder
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 60 g (2 oz) roasted unsalted peanuts or blanched almonds, roughly chopped
- Preheat your oven to 170C (340F) and lay a piece of non-stick baking paper on a baking sheet.
- Place the peanut or almond butter, egg, egg yolk, inulin and cacao into a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add the nuts and mix through. Using clean hands, roll the mixture into 12 even sized balls and space them evenly onto the lined cookie sheet.
- Flatten the balls slightly with a spatula and place the tray in the oven for 6 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven and flatten the balls a little further and return the tray back to the oven to bake for a further 7 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the tray for 10 minutes before transferring the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or these cookies can be frozen for up to a month.