Chicken Noodle Soup
Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Dairy-free
Why it's delicious
Wonderfully restorative is how I like to think of a steaming bowl of chicken soup, something that warms not just the insides but the soul as well. This version is a healthy broth made from kombu and wakame and finished with a good slap of zucchini noodles that are perfect for slurping.
Helpful hints and tips
This recipe is a good one for using up cooked shredded chicken.
Before you start, you’ll need to prepare my Kombu Water. Kombu water is my healthy broth alternative and one of my favourite foundation recipes. If you need the recipe, you can find it here.
A note on fresh herbs: Using fresh herbs to help flavour food is one of the foundations to eating healthy and eating deliciously. Don’t be afraid to test out herbs in different dishes and use herbs in abundance in this recipe as it really does make the soup taste incredible.
A note on Wakame: Wakame is a dried seaweed much like kombu but has a deeper and more distinct flavour. That being the case you only need a small pinch to help flavour your food. Buy wakame in a good Asian supermarket, in the Japanese section and grind it up into small fine pieces in your food processor or spice/coffee grinder.
- 600 m (1.2 pints) Kombu Water
- 2 tbsp low sodium tamari
- 1 tsp Himalayan or mineral salt
- ½ tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 200 g (7 oz) cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 500 g (1.1 lb) zucchini, made into thick noodles with a potato peeler
- 3 tbsp freshly chopped coriander + parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander root
- Small handful coriander and basil leaves
- 1 tsp ground wakame
- Grinding of black pepper
- Heat the kombu water in a medium sized pot on medium to high temperature. Add the tamari, salt, garlic, ginger and taste for flavour. The broth should taste light and fresh.
- Heat the soup till it almost comes to the boil and add the shredded chicken meat and chopped coriander and parsley leaves.
- Into 2 large deep bowls, evenly distribute the zucchini noodles and pour over the hot soup and chicken. Top the soup with a few extra fresh herbs, wakame, a good grinding of black pepper and serve whilst still steaming.