Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Dairy-free | Fat-free | Low carb
Why it’s delicious
So simple and quick to make yet so enjoyable to eat. Never underestimate the beauty of a quick stir fry for lunch or dinner when you need something wholesome and flavoursome.
Helpful hints and tips
When you are using fresh vegetables, the flavours speak for themselves. Choose fresh, bright vegetables and cook quickly and lightly for maximum flavour and nutrient value.
I increased the stir fry by using kelp noodles which are wonderful translucent noodles made from seaweed that can be purchased at a health food store. Incredibly easy to use, they can be thrown into a stir fry at the last minute to heat threw gently before serving.
- 2 tbsp salt-reduced tamari
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 200 g (7 oz) raw chicken breast or lean beef fillet, thinly sliced
- 100 g (3.5 oz) button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 300 g (10.5 oz) green cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ small yellow or red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 100 g (3.5 oz) kelp noodles, optional
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander, mint, basil leaves or chives
- ½ stalk spring onion, green part thinly sliced
- Heat a large wok or frying pan on medium to high temperature and add 1 tablespoon of the tamari quickly, followed by the onion. Stir fry for a minute before adding the garlic and the ginger, and continue to stir fry for a further minute without burning the ingredients.
- Add the meat and stir fry, stirring continuously for a further minute or two or until the meat is just cooked through, then add the mushrooms and cook for a further minute. Season with a little salt and pepper, remove the ingredients from the pan and set aside.
- Place the pan back onto the heat and add the remaining tamari, followed by the cabbage. Stir fry for a minute, and then add the capsicum and the kelp noodles if using. Stir to combine and cook for a minute, stirring continuously and then add the meat and onions back to the pan and stir to combine.
- Add the chopped herbs and spring onion, and serve immediately.