Gluten free | Sugar free | Dairy free
Makes 2 serves
Why it’s delicious
Mince on toast was the staple breakfast, lunch or dinner growing up in our house, because mince (ground beef or lamb) was cheap and could feed a small army. Combine the good-ol’ mince with thick slices of toasted bread and dinner was ready in minutes.
I’ve taken this old family favourite and turned it on its head by making it gluten free with no added fats or oils. Topped with a poached egg and it’s the perfect meal.
Hints, Tips + Tricks
This recipe requires Bridget's Sticky Sauce, a healthy cooking sauce I use in many of my recipes. It's simple, healthy and packs a lot of flavour without adding unnecessary calories. If you need the recipe, you can get it here.
- 2 tbsp Bridget's Sticky Sauce
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 250 g (8.8 oz) lean beef, lamb, chicken, prawn, tofu or turkey mince (ground meat)
- Mineral salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100 ml (3.5 oz) Kombu Water
- 2 slices of my Gluten-free Sandwich Loaf
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 eggs
- Small handful of mint leaves to serve
- Into a non-stick frying pan or wok, heat the sticky sauce on medium heat along with the onion, garlic, cumin powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Stir fry for a couple of minutes and then add the minced meat.
- Continue to stir fry for 4-5 minutes or until all the meat has been broken up and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper and taste for flavour. The meat should be fragrant and tasty.
- Add the kombu water and reduce the heat down to simmer while you prepare the poached eggs.
- Heat a medium sized saucepan, half filled with hot water and add the apple cider vinegar. Bring the water to a gentle boil and carefully break the eggs into the water. Poach the eggs for 3 minutes for soft, 4 minutes for firmer and 6 minutes for hard poached.
- Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon, draining well.
- To serve, lay the sliced toasted bread on a plate and top with the hot mince, followed by poached eggs. Sprinkle with extra salt and pepper and some of the fresh mint leaves, finely shredded.