Chocolate Molten Lava Cake
Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Air fryer recipe
Why it’s delicious
I first fell in love with this pudding as a young chef's apprentice. It was part of a restaurant menu where we chefs had to cook it to order. It was full of sugar and gluten and wickedly decadent and I just couldn't help myself and had to create a healthier version for us.
Helpful hints and tips
This recipe calls for inulin powder, a soluble fibre derived from plant-based sources. It is a prebiotic, making it a fantastic ingredient for gut health and a healthy alternative to sugar. I use Pure as Inulin by Bridget's Healthy Kitchen, a 100% natural plant-based prebiotic chicory inulin powder to support a healthy digestive system. It also tastes like candy floss! Please check out our online store here to place an order. You can also read more about inulin powder --> here.
I used my air fryer to make this recipe as it's so quick and simple, but you could put these puddings in an oven set at 200C ( 390F) for 9-11 minutes or until just cooked.
You will need 4 x 1 cup sized individual heatproof ramekins or bowls. They can be metal or ceramic and need to be able to go into the air fryer or oven.
- 120 g (4.2 oz) butter
- 110 g (3.8) unsweetened good quality dark chocolate
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 4 tbsp Pure as Inulin Powder + extra for dusting
- Small handful of berries to serve
- Melt the butter over medium heat and using a pastry brush, generously butter the ramekins or cups with some of the melted butter. Make sure you get an even coating as you don’t want the pudding to stick once it's cooked.
- Add the chocolate to the butter and turn the heat down to low and stir the mixture with a spatula until the chocolate and butter is smooth. Set aside to cool a little.
- Whisk the whole eggs on high speed for 4 minutes. This is an important step as it will help the puddings to be ever so light and fluffy. I like to set a timer to make sure I give the eggs enough time.
- Preheat your air fryer to 190C (375F) . Method for oven cooking is described above in the hints and tips section.
- Add the almond flour and inulin to the chocolate and stir with the spatula and then pour the chocolate into the eggs. Fold in gently but thoroughly with the spatula to ensure the chocolate is well mixed through the egg and there are no streaks.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the 4 buttered ramekins and cook in the air fryer for 6-7 minutes. The puddings should be firm on top but still liquid in the middle.
- Serve immediately to take advantage of the molten factor and serve the puddings turned out onto a plate with some berries on top and a light dusting of inulin powder. You could also serve the puddings in their cooking vessel if you prefer.