Gluten-free | Dairy-free | Sugar-free | Vegan
Makes 50-60 small crackers
Why it’s delicious
These little yellow crackers are so moreish! They are the perfect accompaniment for cheese, an antipasti platter or if you want a little healthy nibble. The turmeric and fennel give the crackers a wonderful bite of flavour making them the perfect little treat.
Helpful hints and tips
The raw dough can be frozen for up to 3 months before defrosting overnight in the refrigerator and then rolling, cutting and baking.
- 150 g (5.2 oz) gluten-free flour or my Gluten-free flour blend
- 4 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp black pepper, finely ground
- 125 ml (4.2 fl oz) warm water
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp avocado oil + extra for brushing
- Make the dough by mixing together all the dry ingredients of gluten-free flour, fennel seeds, turmeric powder, salt, baking powder and black pepper.
- Into a jug, add the water, apple cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons of avocado oil and whisk to combine.
- Begin to add the liquid to the dry ingredient and stir the mixture together until a soft dough forms. Add a tablespoon of water at a time if the dough is crumbly, or add a sprinkle of flour at a time if the dough is too sticky. Work the dough gently with clean hands until a smooth dough forms, and then flatten it into a disc.
- Cover the dough with cling film and rest the dough in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 210C (425F)
- Remove the dough from the fridge and divide it into two pieces. Lay one of the pieces of dough onto a large piece of non-stick baking paper and place an equal-sized piece of baking paper on top of the dough.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out between the sheets of paper until the dough is about 5 mm thick. Transfer the dough with the bottom piece of paper to a large baking sheet or tray, and using the tip of a knife, cut the dough into crackers.
- Brush the crackers with a little avocado oil and bake them in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the crackers are golden and crunchy.
- Remove the tray from the oven and allow the crackers to sit on it for 10 minutes to cool a little, and then snap them along the cut lines before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat rolling and baking with the remaining raw dough.
- When completely cool, these crackers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days.