Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Dairy-free | Vegan friendly | No added fats or oils
Makes enough for 2-4 serves
Why it’s delicious
Who doesn’t LOVE mash and gravy?! It’s that wonderful combination of creamy mash and slippery slurpy gravy that is literally the topping on the pie! In fact, now that you have the recipe for my ultimate gravy and mash try serving it with anything you like! Serve it with chicken, roast lamb or beef. How about my healthy turkey meatballs, blanched asparagus and broccoli or even savoury mince. The choice is yours… it’s all gravy baby!
I serve this delicious gravy atop of my Gluten-free Mince & Cheese Pies.
Hints, Tip + Tricks
- 500 g (1.1lb) cauliflower florets, sliced into even sized pieces
- Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 -8 cloves of roast garlic, mashed well with the back of a knife till its smooth
- 2 tsp sugar-free Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp low sodium tamari
- 200 ml (7 oz) Kombu Water
- Firstly make the cauliflower mash by adding the cauliflower to a medium sized saucepan and just cover the cauliflower with warm water. Give the pot a decent sprinkle of salt and bring the pot to the boil.
- Reduce the pot down to a soft boil and cook the florets for 12-15 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender. You can test the cauliflower for doneness by using a fork to see if you can mash a floret easily.
- While the cauliflower cooks, heat the mustard and tamari in a separate pot or pan and stir with a wooden spoon. Add kombu water and bring the mixture to boil, stirring occasionally to make sure it does not stick to the base of the pan. Allow the gravy to boil until it thickens slightly.
- Taste for flavour , adding a little salt if necessary. Keep the gravy warm while you mash the veg.
- Finish the cauliflower by draining the water from the cooked cauliflower in a colander, shaking well to remove as much water as possible. Place back into the pot and add the mashed garlic and season with a little salt and then mash with a potato masher or a handheld stick blender. Alternatively, you can also spoon the cooked cauliflower into a food processor and blend till smooth.
- Taste the cauliflower for flavour adding salt and pepper to taste and serve hot with the warm gravy.