Dairy-free | Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Vegan friendly
Makes 500 ml or 17 oz
Why it’s delicious
Hemp seeds are a nutty nutritious seed harvested from the Cannabis sativa plant and are one of the fastest-growing and most sustainable plants being commercially grown throughout the world.
The seeds are great in salads and bread, but they also can simply and very deliciously be turned into a milky liquid that is suitable for use in dishes where you might normally use almond, macadamia or other plant-based milk.
Health benefits of hemp milk
- More calcium than cows milk
- Lactose, soy and dairy free
- Plant based milk that is perfect for vegans
- Has more protein than other plant based milks with the protein easily absorbed by the body
- Has lots of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which are the GOOD fats
- Contains ALL the essential amino acids that we need from food
- Hemp milk is a complete protein
You can use hemp milk in coffee and baristas love it for latte art as it has a great texture when heated. You can make hemp milkshakes, use it in smoothies or drink it on its own with a little vanilla and sweetness from inulin or fibre syrup. You can use it in curries or soups and use it as a base for hot chocolate.
Helpful hints and tips
You can purchase hemp seeds, also known as hemp hearts, from the health aisle of a good supermarket or from your health food store. They may also be called hemp seeds- hulled, so keep an eye out for all those names.
- 50 g (1.7 oz) hemp seeds/hearts
- 500 ml (17 fl oz) filtered water
- Add the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until milky. Depending on the speed and strength of your blender, this could take between 30-90 seconds.
- For smooth milk, strain the liquid to remove the seeds, or you can leave it as is for nutter milk.
- Store in a clean glass bottle in the fridge for up to 1 week and shake well before using.
Let us know how you get on, Pam :)
This will be exciting to try.Thanks Bridget.