Gluten-free | Sugar-free | Dairy-free
Cuisine: Bridget's Healthy Kitchen
Course: Snack | Treat | Dessert
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 2 minutes
Sometimes you need something that's amazingly quick to make and incredibly satisfying to eat; that's where my delicious 2-minute Banana Chocolate Cake comes in.
Of course, this recipe is free from dairy, gluten & sugar but will satisfy any sweet tooth.
I used over-ripe bananas for extra sweetness, but you can use soft dates, feijoas or any soft sweet fruit of your choosing.
Hints, Tips & Tricks
This recipe calls for super ripe bananas. I like to buy ripe bananas when they're on special and leave them on the bench for a few days. Once they've become browner, I peel them, place them in small zip-lock bags and pop them in the freezer. The riper the banana, the sweeter the fruit! And with loads of frozen sweet bananas in your freezer, you are never far away from a healthy treat such as this 2-minute Chocolate Cake.
I use a microwave for this recipe, but you could also bake these mini chocolate cakes in the oven set at 170C (320F) in a couple of muffins cases. However, if you use the oven, they'll take longer to cook, about 16-18 minutes.
This recipe also calls for inulin powder, a soluble fibre derived from plant-based sources. It is prebiotic, making it a fantastic ingredient for our gut health. It's also a healthy alternative to sugar. You can read more information about inulin powder --> here. Or, if you're wondering where to purchase some, we sell 100% Chicory Inulin Powder for home delivery*! Find out more --> here.
I also use psyllium husk as a binding agent to ensure the ingredients hold together nicely. As psyllium husk is a soluble fibre and prebiotic, it also helps add more fibre to our diets. The recommended daily fibre intake is between 25 grams to 30 grams. Just one tablespoon of psyllium husk contains around 5 grams of fibre.
- 1 heaped tbsp ripe banana
- 1 heaped tbsp almond flour
- 1 tsp inulin powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp psyllium husks
- 1 tbsp sugar-free chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- Coconut yoghurt, grated chocolate and sliced fruit of your choice to serve
- Place all the ingredients into a small food processor or blender and mix until well combined. You can also whisk all the ingredients vigorously in a bowl.
- Spoon the mixture into a microwaveable cup and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Turn the cooked cake out onto a plate and top with coconut yoghurt, grated chocolate or sliced fruit.